Monday, January 25, 2010

Garden Giddy


As the end of January approaches and I continue to drool over my seed catalogs that are coming in two by two each day in the mail, I get giddy about winter bidding us adieu.

This is my garden. My little piece of fat earth. She has a few weeds in her now and a few errant vines that I forgot to pull down off of the chicken wire, but she's there...waiting for me to bring her new life. Every year I try to grow something new. This year, among my long list of things to grow, I am going to try radishes and tomatoberries--tomatoes the size and shape of strawberries. I am also going to try the square foot gardening method. My garden is small, 300 square feet, but I do grow so much in that tiny space! How? Space-saving techniques like letting things grow on trellises instead of letting them sprawl and interplanting certain crops together. However, I think the square foot gardening method is really going to maximize my garden space because I will be utilizing the space a lot more efficiently. I plan to keep you updated on how it goes. In case you are wondering what this method entails, just google 'square foot gardening'. I can't wait to get started!

What's on tap for this year's garden? Tomatoes, potatoes, peppers, onions, garlic, radishes, cukes, okra, peas, spinach, cantaloupes and various herbs and flowers. I can just taste those salads now!

Well, I'm off to order my seeds! Until next time.....

Happy Garden Thoughts!

2 comments:

  1. Wow! Looks like you eliminated deer, rabbits, birds, squirrels, etc. Did you use screen to keep out cabbage moths and squash vine borer too? Would you share the dimensions of the enclosure, construction info, and a cost estimate?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Ria! No I didn't use any screen for cabbage moths and squash vine borers. Honestly though, I really haven't had any issues with "bad" bugs. Probably because I have been adding organic matter to my garden since I started it. Keeping that soil healthy really does go a long way.

    The structure is 30 feet long, 7 feet high and 10 feet wide. It was about $900 when it was all said and done, but MORE than worth the cost. My husband was the one that made it. He had an idea in his head and made a 3D rendering of it and then figured out what we would need to build it--so I'm afraid I'm not much help on the construction aspect of it.

    You could certainly build smaller--or larger--versions of this cage. I absolutely love it! I would pay the money all over again for the peace of mind it brings me--and my crops! :o)

    ReplyDelete

Comments with links to business websites will not be published.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.