So this year I decided we are going to grow peanuts in the demo garden. I have only grown them once before, and that time I started them directly in the ground, and I think we got a few that matured. So I thought to steal a march and start them indoors.
A few did actually germinate, but I must not have planted them deep enough, because I don't think this was supposed to happen:
They have been like that for about ten days now, and I don't expect further progress, though you never know. Here's one that germinated at soil level but is growing nicely:
Unfortunately that is my only success, so now that the soil is beginning to warm up we will try direct sowing this coming week. Peanuts are a fascinating plant, and I hope to at least get flowers and the subsequent "pegs" that bury themselves in the ground to produce the nuts, and maybe we will be lucky and actually get a (small) crop. More to follow if it works!