Wednesday, July 28, 2010

My Sunday afternoon hobby


This is an example of my Sunday afternoon hobby during summer time; nothing crazy, just normal stuff.

My wife made the zucchini–apple soup (top left) and the zucchini bread (top right). We froze half of the soup (small containers) for future use as well as all the bread loaves. I canned 16 pints of dill pickles (bottom right), but two (top left) didn’t seal properly and need to be kept in the fridge. I tried for the first time my pressure cooker/canner this weekend: 5 pints of wax beans and 3 pints of tomatoes in their own juice was the result. My dehydrator worked all weekend. In addition to drying sliced apples (quart jars in the back), I dried herbs, scallions (green and white parts) and tomato slices (bottom left). I tried something new this weekend with the tomatoes. It’s called tomato leather (bottom right). Imagine a sheet of your favorite pizza sauce, in a cracker. It tastes good and will be perfect as topping.

With the not-so good weather we got last Sunday, it was a perfect day in the kitchen.

a+

Nicolas

1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful sight--and you'll be able to enjoy your veggies & fruits for months to come.

    ReplyDelete

Comments with links to business websites will not be published.