Sunday, October 10, 2010

Cabbage Worm Armageddon!!!



I wish I'd gone back and read Bob Nixon's Aug 7 post about covering broccoli transplants with tulle, because the cabbage moths sure did visit my broccoli patch this year (see right). Still, I have developed a somewhat effective tactic for dealing with cabbage worms once they emerge onto the scene. It's a new game I like to call 'Cabbage Worm Armageddon'.

Since I only have a few plants, I favor mechanical control methods; namely, hand-picking them off the stems each morning. If you only have a few plants this doesn't tend to take too long, though cabbage worms are a little challenging to spot:
Isn't it convenient for them that they're exactly 'broccoli-colored'? Still, not to be outdone, I pull the little buggers off and compile them in my driveway:





And a close up:















So once I get them all rounded up, here's where the game comes in:

CABBAGE WORM ARMAGEDDON!!!!!

Due to the graphic nature of subsequent activities, visuals of what happens next not included...

I'd like to say that 'no cabbage worms were harmed in the making of this blog post', but, well, I guess that's not really true. Still, I'm happy to report that while my broccoli plants have sustained some worm damage, they're just starting to form heads and so there's hope for a fall harvest yet!!!

4 comments:

  1. I'm glad you're having fun with it!

    Not sure what I call the game where I squish all the harlequin bugs that are sucking on my broccoli leaves right through the row cover. Death Tag, maybe?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm...While I'm out playing 'Armageddon' I, too, squish the occasional harlequin bug. I call that 'Bonus Points'. (;

    Stay tuned for next time, when we play 'Drown the Stink Bug'!!! (Though I haven't seen any on my peppers recently. Maybe they're seeking warmer refuge.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You haven't seen stink bugs because they're all on my screen and sneaking into my house.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had quite a time with cabbage worms this year in my broccoli and brussel sprouts. I will tent them next year but this I just picked them off and fed them to my chickens. They LOVE them !

    ReplyDelete

Comments with links to business websites will not be published.