Monday, January 17, 2011

Afroculinaria blog

I will get to those other books soon!  But for MLK Day, I thought the best thing I could do was to introduce you to Michael Twitty's new blog, Afroculinaria.  Michael is a local but widely-known food historian, cultural interpreter, writer, speaker, and all-around interesting person.  His interests include African, African American, African Diaspora, Southern, and Jewish foodways.  The blog will show "the process of delving into the history, aesthetics and knowledge systems of African-based food traditions and where possible, recreating the foods of the past."  It will connect with a new website in progress, launching in February.

Check it out!

2 comments:

  1. I asked Michael for some advice on what kind of okra to plant for culinary purposes. I always lean to the exotic ( 7 - 10-foot tall varieties), ornamental - with red pods, or linguistically evocative Cowhorn -- and thought some chefly advice would be useful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great! and I see he recommends Cowhorn. I do like the red-podded ones myself, but then I mostly grow okra for the flowers. :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments with links to business websites will not be published.