Saturday, January 15, 2011

Read while you can't weed, part one

Yesterday's post about beans was brought to you not only by my personal enthusiasm, but by a number of informative sources I've come to rely on.  It can be tricky figuring out the differences between where plants come from and where they are currently used, in cultures that have adopted them and bred them into new varieties, and sometimes there are no real answers.  However, here are a few of the books I trust to get it as right as it gets.

William Woys Weaver's 100 Vegetables and Where They Came From and Heirloom Vegetable Gardening.  The former is available at the usual book retailers, and the latter is out of print, available used for a substantial cost, or for much less as a CD from online book sellers and some gardening catalogs.  Also, check libraries.  Weaver tells the best stories about edible plants, and his research is awe-inspiring; also, he cares not just about cultural history but about botanical origins, not just about growing but about cooking.  He gives you insightful details like (as I was reading yesterday) how long ago strings started being bred out of string beans, and what that means in terms of dating old varieties, as well as why a tidy little bush bean is probably not a Native American crop of ancient lineage even if it's named after an Indian tribe.  And he's often funny.  (This is a serious university-sponsored blog and I am not supposed to say I have a big intellectual crush on the man and want to marry him and grow his onions, but there you are.)

Food Plants of the World: An Illustrated Guide by Ben-Erik van Wyk.  This is more in the nature of a reference book, but a really gorgeous one that I love browsing in.  I am relying on it for most of the plant origin information I need to build this year's garden.  It doesn't include everything (no mouse melons!) and the entries are short, but basic information is provided for each plant on origin and history, cultivation and harvesting, uses and properties, nutrition, and common names in various languages.  The book is organized alphabetically by scientific name (which is good practice for my memory, though there's a thorough index as well) with several pictures of each food plant.  Part of the fun is reading entries for plants we could never grow here, like baobab (I gather it can be a houseplant, but I don't think I'll try) or durian.  But it's also useful for identifying all those different brassicas, or finding out that asparagus pea and winged bean are not all that closely related after all.  Family relationships aren't clearly enough designated for my taste, though; they may be mentioned in the text but aren't given in the header.

I'll write another post tomorrow on some of the gardening books I've enjoyed recently, and would love to hear about yours too!

5 comments:

  1. Hi Erica, When it comes to "reference" material on food plants and their origins, I really like "Edible: an Illustrated Guide to the World's Food Plants," by National Geographic. I have checked it out of the library so many times, that it is probably to by my own copy.

    I have another recommendation for every one, actually two recommendations. I just finished reading "52 loaves" by William Alexander (same author as "The $64 Tomato", great read!!!). Anyway, 52 loaves is about the author's attempt to bake the perfect loaf of peasant bread. He even goes as far as growing his own wheat and building his own oven. Whether you like to bake your own bread or simply just enjoy eating bread, it is a fantastic book. Sabine Harvey

    ReplyDelete
  2. ha ha - I'm going to die laughing about you wanting to grow his onions.

    My mom loves durian and it truly is offensive. We used to make her sit on a stool out in the garage by herself to eat it. Once I bought a whole fresh one from the Asian supermarket for her and left it in my car while I ran a very short errand. By the time I got back, the car was horrendous. Erica, I know you're very adventurous and I challenge you to try it. If I see one some day, I'm going to pick one up for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sabine - thanks, those are great recommendations! I keep seeing the National Geographic one mentioned and haven't got to it yet, but I will! And I do bake bread, so I will check out the other too.

    Wendy, I do fully intend to try durian once in my life, but from all I've heard it may be the only time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Come, now, durian is tasty, not offensive. Friends in Singapore once "tested" me out on durian as a dessert. Visitors often are offered the treat, amid a roomful of smiles. Yes, it was strong, but, really, what should I say, interesting. I enjoyed it. It tastes on the order of what skunk spray smells like, but on the fruity side of the spectrum. When I was a kid, I always wanted to have a skunk for a pet, so go figure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hm, maybe this explains your non-reaction to stink bug smell, Bob. :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments with links to business websites will not be published.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.