Pictured is Master Gardener Intern Henry Lysy inspecting this years amazing sweetpotato patch.
Public Demonstration Garden directly behind the and Shipley Arena. Carroll County Agriculture Center
Event Details: Our
Carroll "Grow It Eat It Team" is planning their First Annual Sweetpotato Festival. County
Please come out to visit and learn while enjoying this very special and delicious event. Be sure to meet our very own Mr. Sweetpotato while your there!
Did You Know?
- Sweetpotatoes are part of the morning glory family.
- Sweetpotatoes are nutritious! Since sweet potatoes are such a good source of fiber, they're a good food for people with diabetes. The fiber helps lower blood sugar by slowing the rate at which food is converted into glucose and absorbed into the bloodstream. Also, because they are such complex carbohydrates, sweet potatoes can help control weight
- The orange-flesh sweetpotato contains a two day supply of Vitamin A, 40%+ of Vitamin C, nearly 10% of iron needs.
- Sweetpotatoes are one of the only low-fat sources of Vitamin E, and they have more dietary fiber than oatmeal.
- Sweetpotatoes rank as the 5th most important crop for developing countries.
- World annual production: 133 million tons.
grows 85% of the world production. China produces about 1% of the world crop USA is the leading North Carolina producer. US
- Sweetpotatoes may fight cancer. The “A.C.E.” vitamins are known as the anti-oxidant set and play a role in cancer prevention.
- Dietary fiber is another important sweetpotato - anti-cancer link.
- Additional phytochemicals found in sweetpotatoes (in purple sweetpotato varieties) may also be an anti-cancer advantage.
- Immediately following harvest, sweetpotatoes need to be “cured.”
- Curing protects the root during storage.
- Sweetpotatoes need to be cured at 85 degrees, 85% humidity for 5 to 7 days.
- Once cured, store sweetpotato roots at about 60 degrees. Do not store below 55 degrees. This will produce a “chill injury factor,” resulting in a hard core &/or rapid spoilage.
Sweetpotato Infomation taken from: