Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Peas and blueberries

This has been a perfect spring for peas.  Or as close as we get around here, anyway.  Okay, the peas I planted at the demo garden dried up in the April drought, but at home I've had a bumper crop - so thank goodness I planted them, as I've almost given up on spring peas!

Spring started early, with ample warmth and rain in March to help the peas germinate.  I started Dwarf Grey Sugar peas inside for transplant, and seeded Carouby de Mausanne snow peas directly in my raised bed.  Both grew equally well in the end, but the direct-seeded peas had a better start.  Raised beds help for planting peas in our typical wet springs, when peas planted in the damp cold ground rot.  Conditions were great for any kind of planting this year.

During the unusually dry days of April, I had to water, but the peas were already growing well by then.  It stayed cool, so the plants successfully produced flowers that became pea pods.  In many years, it gets hot too soon and we get no peas at all.  And we're even getting a few more cool days after our sweltering weekend!  I should be able to pick peas several more times before I pull them out and put something else in their place.

We started picking blueberries three weeks early this year.  The flowers came through the late March freezes just fine, and the earliest berries ripened last week.  I'll need to prune after the fruit is done, because I can barely walk past the bushes anymore (they are part of the landscaping in my front yard, and have only a narrow flagstone path for access).

Time for blueberry muffins!  If I could think of a dish combining peas and blueberries, I'd make it.


12 comments:

  1. Peas and blueberries would combine well in a salad - possibly with a lemon vinaigrette. Or maybe with some mint.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Snow Peas look delicious...

    Yung

    ReplyDelete
  3. Please don't post photos of blueberry muffins, Erica. My saliva is running down my PC screen. I can almost smell their aroma via the Internet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ahh, yum! Blueberries...I'm thinking of growing some in containers! Great looking blueberry muffins!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Same thing here, it's full production for the snap peas ( seeded in 2 waves ) but I will have to wait another week for the blueberries.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Cherry - I think the salad would work. Bob, I have two young men in the house to make sure I don't eat too many of the muffins! Charmcity, there are several great container varieties, but the bigger container the better. And Nicolas, I do have a couple of very early plants, but even so it's usually the first week of June before we see anything ripen. Can't complain.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those peas look heavenly! What kind of support did you use for them? I've seen a great deal of conflicting advice, so hearing what you have to say (I'm growing the same variety) would really help, considering how great your harvest looks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually I improvised in a hurry, but it worked out well. I took two of those square tomato cages (not metal, a bit too flimsy for tomatoes) and laid them on their sides, stuck in short stakes to support them, and planted a row of peas on both sides of each. Just enough support. I've done the random-length-stick thing too, which works well enough and looks attractive but you have to gather the sticks.

      Delete
  8. I used a tomato cage and my peas happily climbed right up and out the top. They have died off from the heat though. I just picked the last few yasterday and gave them to my dog Daisy. She loves them as much as I do : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to grow peas on my garden fence, and the dog I had then would eat the ones on the outside of the fence.

      Delete
  9. My peas have only started blooming in the last couple of days. I planted late. I hope I get some to harvest before the heat comes in to stay. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least we're getting another cool week!

      Delete

Comments with links to business websites will not be published.