Saturday, February 2, 2013

Another recipe for your root vegetables

I love the taste of fermented or pickled preserved vegetables. It is a staple side dish for most Asian cuisines that I grew up with. This recipe would be a great addition for the year of root vegetables.
















This recipe is from an article in the January 23-29 issue of Wire:13, by Garen Heller (above)

Radish and Root Kimchi

For the brine
4 cups water
3 Tbsp salt (sea salt is best...)

For the vegetables
Turnips
Carrots
Watermelon radish
Scallions
Napa cabbage
Daikon radish
Kohlrabi

Use clean, fresh vegetables. Slice thinly leaving the skin on, except for the kohrabi, which needs to be peeled. The amount you use of each vegetable is completely up to your preference.

Soak the vegetables in the brine for a few hours. Drain, reserve brine and test vegetables for saltiness. If too salty, add a bit more water to brine; if not salty enough, add a little more salt.

For the spice mixture:
3-4 garlic cloves or more
3-4 hot peppers or more depending on desired space
3 tablespppon or more of freshly grated ginger root

Mash into a paste and stir into the reserved brine, then pour the vegetable mixtures into the brine.

At this point it is best to weigh down the vegetables to make sure they are constantly submerged in the brine. I use a wide -mouth container to allow for this. Some use a plastic bag full of water. Or, if you are going to be able to check the kimchi daily, you may opt to not use a weight. I check mine daily and in the process press down the vegetables that have risen to the top.

Ferment in a warm space covered for a week. When the ferment tastes ripe, move to a refrigerator where it will ferment more slowly. Or, you can opt to ferment in a cooler space over a longer period of time, such as a cool mudroom. Just be sure to add more salt.

I hope you enjoy this recipe. I have not tried it myself . But let me know how it turns out.







1 comment:

  1. This looks very interesting...I have dabbled with kimchi and loved the results but haven't yet thrown myself in at the deep end with fermented veggies etc. Might be about time I did. Thank you for sharing this recipe that has decidedly piqued my interest to try more fermented foods :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments with links to business websites will not be published.