Monday, February 11, 2013

My love-hate relationship with parsnips

I first heard of parsnips three years ago, when asking my mother-in-law for her chicken soup recipe. She said that I absolutely must include [**word in Polish**], not knowing how to translate it. After some research I learned that she was referring to parsnip, a root vegetable that looks like a white carrot and tastes like one also, but sweeter and with an intriguingly different aroma.



Last week the organic parsnips above were selling at the food co-op in Frederick for $3.69 per pound. At the website where I bought the seed packet that I successfully planted in 2011, 4g of organic seeds are now selling for $1.99. I harvested more than 7 lbs of parsnips from the seed packet I sowed on 3 square feet in 2011. Thus planting parsnips is a very good deal, if you're a better gardener than I've been... because in 2012 my entire crop flopped.

Parsnip seeds don't last more than a year, so you must buy a fresh packet. If you are as challenged by parsnips as I am, you'll actually use the entire packet trying to get the year's crop going, so no big deal! The seeds can take up to four weeks to germinate. In 2011 I started sowing seeds in mid-May with the intent of harvesting 16 parsnips per square foot. (However, upon doing research for this article I learned that I would probably have been more successful had I sowed at the end of winter, as soon as the soil could be worked and wasn't too wet.) I sowed four times in two week intervals, until I finally saw seedlings come up. Once the seeds managed to germinate, the plants thrived. Ultimately, so many of them came up that I had to thin them. Some of mine were larger than the ones above, pictured on a 14" x 11.5" cutting board.

Parsnip seeds are like carrot seeds, very light, so plant them on well-drained soil on a non windy day as you would carrots. ("Carrot-like" is no coincidence, since parsnip -- Pastinaca sativa -- is a member of the carrot family.) The foliage looks like carrot as well.

Parsnips require at least 6 months to grow. They should be harvested after the first autumn frost, after which they become sweeter. You can harvest them throughout the winter, which enables you to go shopping for free in your garden instead of using cash at the food co-op! 

Parsnips get a bad reputation from their European cousin, wild parsnip (Pastinaca sativa L.), a weed whose leaves can cause a severe chemical burn. You will find numerous websites that caution you against working on them without gloves. That is not the case with plants that you cultivate from a seed packet.

Parsnips contain starch, and in the past were more popular than potatoes. You can mash parsnips (mix them with potatoes in your favorite mashed potato recipe, or try Mollie Katzen's healthier version). You can roast them (an interesting way to roast is Jamie Oliver's). You can include them in a soup or casserole. I definitely agree with my mother-in-law, that parsnips will improve your chicken soup.

I have no idea why my 2012 crop failed, since I repeated my 2011 steps. My best guess is that the seed I purchased wasn't as fresh, so this year I'll buy a packet from a reputable catalog. I will sow the seeds earlier in the year. I'll also plant a fast crop such as lettuce while I wait for them to germinate, which will have the added benefit of keeping the weeds away.

If you know any parsnip tricks, please share them. I can use your help!

8 comments:

  1. Thanks for this. I'm always look for things I can harvest in winter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't harvest all of them. Leave a couple in the ground. The following season (they're biennial), they'll bloom, attracting pollinators and other beneficial insects (like most umbelliferae) and produce tons of seeds that you can use (and give away)the following season. Scroll down in this post to see pictures of 2nd year parsnips: http://franklincountymgs.blogspot.com/2011/07/other-master-gardener-gardens.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Ray, for the tip about saving parsnip seeds and the great photo. I didn't know that the John Brown House Historic Kitchen Garden existed and that it's one of the Franklin County Master Gardener projects -- will try to visit this year. Thanks too for the info about parsnips and many other root crops by the Virginia Cooperative Extension.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did not get my parsnips to germinate for the past 2 years; really frustrating because I really like roasted parsnips. Plus, even in the winter, I still like to eat out of our garden as much as possible. So far so good, but I do miss the parsnips. One tip, that might help even though it did not do me any good the past two years, is to soak the seeds before you plant them. The books say to soak them overnight, but I am not that organized.I figure a few hours is better than nothing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll try that too, Sabine, thanks. Sorry to hear that I'm not the only one who has trouble with parsnips.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Soaking seed helps a lot. Another method os it cover the row where the parsnip seed is planted with a 2 inch by 8 inch board. This keeps the seed bed moist during germination. You will need to check it daily for germination and remove the board as the seed starts to germinate. If you garden in a raised bed as I do and plant 4 foot square blocks of beets, carrots, parsnips and bunching onions, just cover the block with a sheet of plywood.

    As with carrots, if you want long straight roots and have shallow soil, you can dig a trench and backfill with sifted soil and compost mix.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kent, I will certainly soak the seeds now that you've seconded Sabine's tip! I love the idea of planting the combination of root veggies that you've chosen, and covering the bed with plywood while the seeds are germinating. Fortunately my bed is pretty deep, but digging a trench is fabulous tip for those who have more shallow beds. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The parsnip failure seems to be universal for 2012--the seeds failed to sprout in both my home garden and in the GIEI demo garden. This was disappointing as I had a bumper crop in the winter/spring of 2011-2012 (I leave them in the ground well past the first frost, usually start digging out as needed in late November through March). I know I used over year old seeds so suspect that was the issue. But am trying again. Have loved roasted parsnips, parsnip and apple soup, garlic mashed potatoes and parsnips, etc. for years. They freeze well, too. Simply wash, dry, peel, cut into chunks, throw into freezer bags.

    ReplyDelete

Comments with links to business websites will not be published.