Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Blueberry pizza


Oh yes.  You read that right.

There comes that time in the blueberry season when (even with just our few bushes) we've picked enough and eaten enough that "by the handful" or "on the cereal" starts to get a little old, especially when you add in the black raspberries that, after last fall's and this spring's neglect, I've finally gained at least some access to (at the cost of many scratches and a sting from what I believe is technically known as a BIG-ASS BEE (can I say that on a UME blog?  Well, I have).  One of the larger bumblebees, which don't carry nearly the venom power of honeybees but are somewhat scarier when inside your shirt).  But yes, blueberries, raspberries, and not to mention the intensely delicious strawberries my husband keeps bringing home from the farmer's market.  I am greatly appreciative of all of them, but about now I start looking for new ways to eat them.

A few years ago it was blueberry soup, and tonight I made several pizzas from scratch and decided to put blueberries on one of them, and here it is:


The crust is adapted from the basic pizza dough in Mark Bittman's How to Cook Everything, with half whole wheat flour.  I flattened the dough on an oiled pizza pan, spread sweet potato mustard on it, added caramelized onions and garlic, a handful of blueberries, some steamed beet greens (another seasonal excess), pine nuts, and some crumbled goat cheese, and baked it at 450F for about 15 minutes.  I like this a lot: the little burst of sour-sweet fruit in the middle of the savory mix was perfect.

I'm still using up my over-large radishes that would have been perfect to harvest when we were on the other side of the country, so I also made radish pizza:


I sauteed the radishes quickly first, and added them on top of tapenade and some more beet greens.  It was not bad, but I'd only recommend it if you need to use up radishes.  (The other two pizzas were more conventional, but didn't use ingredients I'd grown aside from a few more beet greens: one was prosciutto and green olives, and the other tomato sauce, refried beans, more onions, and sweet and jalapeño peppers.  I'll be doing a lot more pizza as my summer vegetables come into season.)

We had strawberries for dessert, but now I'm pondering ways to include them in dinner...

8 comments:

  1. Lol, this actually sounds pretty darned good. I like to throw strawberries on top of salads for the tangy sweet flavor, especially with a little sharp bleu cheese or feta too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, there you go - I have a lot of lettuce to use up too. :)

      Delete
  2. There's a really good blueberry soup recipe in Silver Palate (the original one) wh is slightly different from yours, and there's a great recipe you could probably hunt up on the web for FABulous blueberry pie with almond streusel topping, wh is made with almond paste. Blueberry vinegar, blueberry yogurt cake -- pardon me, I'm drooling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, me too - though trying to stay away from the desserts...

      Delete
  3. I am intrigued...sweet potato mustard? That's a new one on me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's from Jack's Cosmic Dogs - http://jackscosmicdogs.com - near Folly Island in SC. You can order it online. Delicious stuff.

      Delete
  4. This one sounds intriguing, and might work with blueberries, too. http://www.closetcooking.com/2013/06/strawberry-caprese-salad.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmm, yes - and I was thinking the blueberries would have been even better soaked in balsamic vinegar first.

      Delete

Comments with links to business websites will not be published.