Thursday, July 4, 2013

Our 2013 Critter Protection Experiments

As you know, it's an every day fight.  During the kale season - it's not over yet - we are using - a fiberglass window screen to protect our greens again the cabbage moth.  The result is shown below: nice blue dwarf kale.



For our blueberry plants, a netting protection is mandatory.  We use chicken wire for the bottom and the bird netting above. The improvement this year is the use of  3/4" PVC pipes as poles. The idea is I can extend the length of the poles easily if needed.



For our main garden, this is a wild card.   It was not intended to be like this.  You think we have a Black-eyed Susan problem ?   You should see our collection of self-seeded bi-color dwarf marigolds. 




And to spice up the game with the squirrels who like to play in our apples trees, I have a surprise for them : Cayenne pepper.  More on this later.

2 comments:

  1. OK. It's later. I want to hear more about your cayenne pepper surprise. Someone recommended making pepper spray to spray on my plants, but I don't know much about it. Please write about this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that sure does add a splash of color! I bought some sort of pepper spray to keep my dog out of my veggie beds. He loves it. licks up every droplet of it.

    ReplyDelete

Comments with links to business websites will not be published.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.