Friday, October 25, 2013

Autumn scenes


From this Tuesday at the Derwood Demo Garden:


The University of Maryland Maple Leaf Table, pretty much. I cleared out most of the leaves, harvested a bag of lettuce, and covered the tables with row cover to guard against frost. We still have some radishes growing, and lots of arugula, and hopefully the lettuce will survive.

And here is the last harvest (probably) of tromboncino squash:


This is the squash that, when other squashes give up and succumb to bugs or powdery mildew, just keeps going and going. It's a Cucurbita moschata type, so pretty resistant to our nemesis the squash vine borer, attracts many fewer squash bugs than other plants, and isn't bothered much by diseases. The fruit is tender up to a couple feet long; here I've harvested all the small ones as well because of anticipated freezing weather. The plants were still producing tiny squashes, too small to harvest. Its only disadvantage, for those of us gardening in restricted space, is that it's huge; the enormous vines will take over your garden if you can't convince them to climb a tall fence or trellis. I have a hint in this regard, after much trial and error: make sure your support is to the south of the squash plants. They'll ignore a beautiful trellis and clamber toward the sun, otherwise. (In case anyone's reading this in the Southern Hemisphere: other way around.)

4 comments:

  1. Hi Erica,

    That sounds very promising; a squash that isn't bothered by pest and disease. I have added it to my list for 2014. What does it taste like? I am asking because I just ate another squash that was bitter, maybe too bitter for my taste.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't find it very different from zucchini. Definitely not bitter.

      Delete
  2. Sabine, I've grown it off and on and really like it. It's slightly more meaty than most zukes in in that is like Gadzukes, but not quite as sweet as G. Keeps pretty well too. Pick 'em before they get to be more than 18 inches long.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay then, I guess I am going to have to add this to my list for 2014!

    ReplyDelete

Comments with links to business websites will not be published.