Friday, December 12, 2014

Seasonal color in radishes and turnips



Ready for roasting: watermelon radishes (green skin and red flesh) and red-skinned, white-fleshed turnips (bought from Red Wiggler Farm). The world of radishes in particular is much larger than many of us grew up with, and I'm hoping to expand my knowledge of it by growing a rainbow's worth next year.

I also put sweet potatoes into this roasting mix, but didn't include them in the photo because the Violetta type I grew this year, while delicious, is less than aesthetically pleasing. They have purple skin and whitish flesh that darkens quickly when peeled or cut, and in the best case cooks to pale yellow, but in the worst to slightly green. I think next year I may go back to solid purple and/or good old orange.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments with links to business websites will not be published.