Wednesday, March 18, 2015

The pomegranate lives! Guest post by Terri Valenti


Ok – so I admit I like to try things.  When I heard there was a pomegranate called Angel Red that could survive to 0 degrees Fahrenheit, produces fruit early, and has soft seeds, I just had to try it.   So I got the smallest (i.e. cheapest) pomegranate I could buy when I put in an order for some other fruit trees I was purchasing about 3 years ago.  I planted the tree in a non-sheltered site – I was sure it was going to die and I didn't want it to lose time doing so!

Where I live in Potomac MD, the lowest winter temperature for those three years was in the low teens, then 3 degrees, and this year 1 degree.  I do admit I covered the little pomegranate with a thick row cover when then temperatures were going very low.  Each year there has been minimal to no die-back.



Checking it this week, I did a few tests to see how green or brown the wood is.  Even at the tips of the tree it still looks green and alive!




Does anyone in Maryland grow these?  I would love to hear about it!

3 comments:

  1. I planted 3 pomegranate bushes 2 1/2 years ago on the Easter Shore of MD. I already had one in a pot but a friend had some in his yard and they were doing just fine, so I figured "why not?" Although the bushes survived last winter, they all died back to the ground, just like my fig trees. I did cover their roots with branches from my cut up Christmas tree. I was happy that they were still alive, but it meant no fruit what-so-ever.
    This year before the worst cold hit, I cut up the Christmas tree once again and covered the roots of these plants. In addition, when the forecast called for seriously frigid temps, I wrapped burlap around the rest of the bushes (like they do in Gander, Newfoundland). It is obviously time to remove the burlap and see if the bushes fared better than last year. Keeping my fingers crossed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I planted one very late last fall, south side next to house (near downtown Silver Spring) and wrapped it in burlap stuffed with leaves. I didn't expect it to survive, but I checked the exposed tips today and they seem to be green! Perhaps over the weekend I'll unwrap and let it out….

    ReplyDelete
  3. Only in a container, and I bring it inside in the winter. I didn't know it could survive outside. When it gets bigger, I might try that, although I've really been enjoying the flowers inside.

    ReplyDelete

Comments with links to business websites will not be published.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.